Your Family Files (4) – Money, vehicles and licenses

So far we have talked about three kinds of family files that you must organize. First are civil registry documents like birth and marriage certificates. Second are passports and travel documents. And third are real estate papers.

Now we come to three more categories, and these are documents about your money, vehicles, and licenses.


All your money-related papers should be kept together.

This includes your passbooks, checkbooks, bank statements, investment documents like time deposit certificates and stock certificates, special savings accounts, credit cooperative savings accounts. Debt papers like loan documents, promissory notes, and mortgage deeds should also go into this file.

Include your returns for income tax, donor’s tax, estate or inheritance tax, and real property tax.

There are items that you use in day-to-day transactions, such as automated teller machine (ATM) cards, debit cards and credit cards. Since you carry these with you all the time, I advise you to make color photocopies of the front and back of these cards and keep them on file.

Here’s a checklist of papers that should go into this file:

  • Photocopies of ATM cards
  • Photocopies of  credit cards
  • Photocopies of debit cards
  • Checkbooks
  • Bank statements
  • Time deposit certificates
  • Stock certificates
  • Special savings accounts
  • Credit cooperative accounts
  • Loan documents
  • Promissory notes
  • Mortgage deeds
  • Official receipts and proofs of payment
  • Income tax papers
  • Donot’s tax papers
  • Estate or inheritance tax papers
  • Real property tax papers
  • Others: _________________


These are documents about all your registered vehicles like cars, vans, motorcycles, boats and recreational vehicles.

Include the Deed of Sale, Chattel Mortgage and Promissory Notes, if any; Certificate of Registration, Official Receipt showing latest registration payment, and your car insurance policy. I also advise you to take a photographs of your vehicle and license plate, and include this in your files.

Here’s a checklist of papers that should go into this category:

  • Deed of sale
  • Chattel mortgage
  • Release from mortgage
  • Promissory note
  • Registration certificate
  • Proof of payment of registration
  • Vehicle insurance policy
  • Photograph of vehicle
  • Photograph of license plate
  • Others ___________________


Have a separate file for your all your licenses.

For your state or local driver’s license, which you bring with when driving, make a color photocopy and include it in this category. Other licenses include your international driver’s license, license to practice your profession for professionals engaged in medicine, nursing, dentistry, teaching, accounting, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, engineering, architecture and other professions requiring board exam and licensing.

This category alsos include firearms license, private pilot’s license, and boat licenses.

Also, make a checklist of renewal dates and, to make it really easy for you, set up these dates in your Google calendar with alarm, giving enough days before expiration to remind you when to renew.

Here’s a checklist of papers that should go into this file:

  • Photocopy of your state or local driver’s license
  • International driver’s license
  • License to practice your profession
  • Firearm license
  • Pilot’s license
  • Others _______________________

The next post will deal with insurance policies, powers of attorney, and last will and testament.

* This post is based on my free ebook, YOUR FAMILY FILES. This free ebook shows you how you can keep your most important personal and legal documents safe yet easy to find. It’s a good step for your peace of mind. Click here to get it now.

Posted in Family files.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *